FN Herstal Firearms banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Speaking of bullpups I've had my eye on the new DT MDR coming out next year: MDR - Micro Dynamic Rifle - Desert Tactical Arms

This may well become my primary rifle if it turns out to be a winner. It's been designed from the ground up to swap calibers easily with just a bolt, barrel and mag well adapter change; they plan to offer 7.62x51, 7.62x39, .300BLK, 6.8SPC, and 5.56 to start with. The trigger is said to be significantly better out of the box compared to the squishy Tavor trigger; they already have significant experience with bullpup triggers with their SRS line of bolt guns, one of which I own and can testify that the trigger is excellent.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Meat, I am keeping an eye on this as well. I was never a bullpup guy and I have always trained on the ar platform or its variations but I really like the compactness of the bullpup. I wonder if they will get this rifle out this year? 308 caliber conversion is pretty cool too

·
Registered
974 Posts
I'm a lefty and I'm fine with the brass being flicked inches in front of my face. But most bullpups have ejection ports on the right that would spit hot brass actually into my face. I think that might cause me to flinch and could result in me shooting greater than moa groupings. Never mind the long burn scars, right? Unless they can be configured to eject left, down or up, I don't think bullpups would work for me.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Meat, I am keeping an eye on this as well. I was never a bullpup guy and I have always trained on the ar platform or its variations but I really like the compactness of the bullpup. I wonder if they will get this rifle out this year? 308 caliber conversion is pretty cool too
They said early 2015 I believe. I plan to buy their .308 and 5.56 barrels right off the bat.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I'm a lefty and I'm fine with the brass being flicked inches in front of my face. But most bullpups have ejection ports on the right that would spit hot brass actually into my face. I think that might cause me to flinch and could result in me shooting greater than moa groupings. Never mind the long burn scars, right? Unless they can be configured to eject left, down or up, I don't think bullpups would work for me.
You can get a left handed eject bolt for the AUG and Tavor, the FS2000 has the ejection forward that dribbles out the rounds. The MDR appears to eject straight forward which to me it seems this would bounce the brass off your support arm. Don't think I would be interested in it.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
You can get a left handed eject bolt for the AUG and Tavor, the FS2000 has the ejection forward that dribbles out the rounds. The MDR appears to eject straight forward which to me it seems this would bounce the brass off your support arm. Don't think I would be interested in it.
There is a Video of it being fired somewhere in here I believe or HKpro?? I was not paying attention to ejection as I was not 100% what it was or did at the time..

I am very interested also.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Yes, my 17 could be my primary gun if static however, for me personally with the back problems I have, I would opt for the 16 with a 10" and 16" OEM barrel if moving. I could carry more ammo that way and still have the 16" barrel for anything that is further out..

·
Registered
45 Posts
A coyote will attack in a group as will boars
Huh? I always try to stay out of picking fights on the internet, but I just have to say something about this.

I've hunted and killed enough of each to fill a school bus. I don't see anything believable in this statement when it comes to man vs pig and especially man vs coyote.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Good to see all the replies to this thread. Lots of good opinions. It seems most of us agree that if we were on foot, we'd go with a lighter ammo weapon in favor of being to pack the proper gear. Truth be told, one could do a lot of work with .22LR, .22 Short, .22 Mag, etc., especially when all one is shooting is food or necessary targets of opportunity. In such a case, one would likely only have one rifle and one pistol.

Static, it seems a lot of us like the added punch of the 7.62. In such a case, we'd likely have access to multiple guns and wouldn't likely be alone.

WRT man vs. coyote or pig, I've seen hogs charge people. Never saw coyotes do that but they're smart little scavengers. I imagine if a man found himself immobilized with a good compound fracture and laid around long enough, there'd come a point where they'd move in for the kill. Bobcats will also attack small humans; there were a couple bobcat attacks on good-sized men in the news these past few years. I dunno if the cats were rabid, but they scratched the guys up pretty good even though the men were able to kill the cats.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I would probably take a SCAR 17 13" SBR with a Saker 762 can as my primary weapon and have the wife carry the old Marlin 925 .22. Could do a lot with that combo.

An adrenaline dump keeps you unaware of pain and discomfort it does not however alleviate the physical affects to the eyes and ears. Once the adrenaline has cleared your system, you're left with whatever damage could have been caused.
Yep. Last year while on a hog hunt in the hills of TN I shot my SCAR 17 outside without ear projection. I had a hog come in to my spot very quickly. I did not have time to put in my earplugs since I only had a second to get off the shot. At the time I had the AAC 51T brake installed and I was crouched low to the ground when I took the shot. The noise and concussion were so severe that I was honestly disoriented for a second or two. It felt like somebody had just punched me in the temple.

I did have a pretty big adrenaline dump going and it didn't make much difference for me, the disorientation/hearing loss was instantaneously noticeable and I still had severe hearing impairment for several hours afterwards. I was yelling when I thought I was talking at a normal level, and I couldn't hear my hunting buddy talk unless he was also yelling. It would be a real problem to have your hearing that compromised in a defensive situation. I can't imagine firing a SCAR 17 in a hallway. That experience is the biggest reason I started buying suppressors. :)

I did get that hog though. 8)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Shooting your way to a unicorn is still shooting your way to a unicorn. Hands down 5.56/.223, a 16s will drive a tack right through a target at 200m without question 24/7/365. If you think toting a 17s with an AR slung on your shoulder is going to be easy with ammo to feed both, might I suggest loading a backpack with the same weight and take a leisurely hike one day, let us know how that went fer'ya! Reality is a heartless b!tch sometimes and weight is weight no matter how fit you are. Besides engaging targets beyond 200-300m is not practical in a SHTF scenario at those distances you seek cover and hope the threat moves on past. In a SHTF situation you NEVER give away your location or any tactical advantage you have unless of course you're not partial to such things.
Agreed, if SHTF, you will need to carry a lot more items with you than bullets. At some point there is always a compromise. I would take more ammo over the 17S, although I do enjoy mine, but from a tactical perspective, I know I can hall 300 rounds of 5.56 and other stuff. I would feel more comfortable being with more ammo if I am mobile. If I was bunker-in, I would reach for the 17S.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Agreed, if SHTF, you will need to carry a lot more items with you than bullets. At some point there is always a compromise. I would take more ammo over the 17S, although I do enjoy mine, but from a tactical perspective, I know I can hall 300 rounds of 5.56 and other stuff. I would feel more comfortable being with more ammo if I am mobile. If I was bunker-in, I would reach for the 17S.
Holy thread necromancy batman!

121 - 136 of 136 Posts