FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK through a cascading series of events beginning yesterday with my Lab breaking a vent visor off of my truck and ending with me removing a decent size piece of my thumb I now have a wound that for the past 24 keeps bleeding.

I'm not doing quickclot again! and super glue wont work cause it's not a "cut" but more a scalped type wound.

Any good home fixes to get this b!cth to stop bleeding

OH and if anyone recommends the Rambo gunpowder fix I will ban you :-D Plus it doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
9,516 Posts
A doctor? Seriously, I hate going to the doctor, but if it's still bleeding after 24 hours, have it looked at. That or keep it clean and covered. Bad dog.

P.S. My wife suggested salt. But she's funny like that.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Helichrysum, lavender or cypress - essential, natural oils & all good to have on hand for blood clotting. Assuming you don't have those so I can't help you this time but maybe next? Sorry to hear this Tal. Here's to hoping the bleeding stops soon.

Wasn't your trigger hand was it?

BBG-

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A doctor? Seriously, I hate going to the doctor, but if it's still bleeding after 24 hours, have it looked at. That or keep it clean and covered. Bad dog.

P.S. My wife suggested salt. But she's funny like that.
I don't do doctors unless I can't avoid it.

Keeping it clean and covered and keeping Johnson&Johnson in business with the amount of gauze pads and tape we're going through.

Your wife's idea isn't as bad as my coworkers recommendation of using Carb spray to fush and clean the wound. :Bubba:

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Helichrysum, lavender or cypress - essential, natural oils & all good to have on hand for blood clotting. Assuming you don't have those so I can't help you this time but maybe next? Sorry to hear this Tal. Here's to hoping the bleeding stops soon.

Wasn't your trigger hand was it?

BBG-
Yeah, I'm right handed and it's my right thumb but atleast it on the side so I don't think it'll slow don my shooting much, maybe just a little sloppy and wet for those running next to me. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Sorry to hear this Tal, have you tried elevating it and keeping it elevated? You can also try a cold compress which will constrict the blood vessels, if that and elevating don't stop the bleeding you will unfortunately be in need of medical attention. Definitely keep it clean, no need to add infection to the mix. Also, do not take Aspirin it'll only thin your blood making it worse.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to hear this Tal, have you tried elevating it and keeping it elevated? You can also try a cold compress which will constrict the blood vessels, if that and elevating don't stop the bleeding you will unfortunately be in need of medical attention. Definitely keep it clean, no need to add infection to the mix. Also, do not take Aspirin it'll only thin your blood making it worse.
First thing we did and it started to clot but it had bleed through the wrap and after changing it it started all over again, everytime we think we have it stopped it gets bumped and starts all over again.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds bad brother, may have to go see a Dr.
I've had worst but this one is beginning to piss me off with the not clotting, I'll give it another 24 hours and then maybe. :mrgreen: if my wife forces me.

Reactions: Ferris2son

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Go to a doc-in-the-box, and get it taken care of. You need a tetanus shot anyway.

Of course, there's always that gun powder thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Outdoor Forums

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen.. :icon_wtf:

I'm not a doctor (so please don't take my advice as if I am), but if you can't stitch it or use steristrips, how about one of those burn bandages that leave a bunch of silver in the wound? I think that would only work if it's fairly shallow though.

How big is it? Is it shallow? Are you in a position to put direct pressure on the wound and maybe pack it with sterile gauze (with something to keep it from sticking in the clot, vaseline or something else?

Some swear by honey, but I think it has to be certain kinds, like pure Manuka Honey.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Tal,

I just spoke with my neighbor, she's an ER nurse, she recommends what I suggested, keep it elevated above your heart while applying a cold compress for at least 30 minutes. She also suggested not to use gauze as it will only congeal with the blood, when removed it'll start bleeding again, she recommended fabric band-aids applied with a great deal of pressure. If it hasn't stopped it may need to be cauterized.

First thing we did and it started to clot but it had bleed through the wrap and after changing it it started all over again, everytime we think we have it stopped it gets bumped and starts all over again.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts