FN Herstal Firearms banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I realize this is an old thread but here is an accuracy test with SS197SR. This was shot slow fire using two hand hold at 10 yards. The two small holes are from a 3/8” staple, which was the target. Indoor range and that target is 21 rounds. I am a former Olympic tryout semifinalist in pistol competitions so I am generally more accurate than most folks. Notwithstanding, my tests show that accuracy is wildly dependent on ammunition and can be different box to box. When I did Olympic free pistol we only used premium German 22 LR ammunition because all the American ammunition was so inaccurate shot to shot. You could actually feel the difference American ammo was so bad, specifically Remington bricks, which no one used even for practice. My conclusion is the pistol is far more accurate than the ammo commercially available. Hand loads would be the only option to get maximum accuracy on a consistent basis. That said, my experience is SS198LF is more accurate shot to shot. On a good day with a good box lot, I can put several shots through the same hole at 10 yards with SS198LF, using a stock FN Five Seven pistol. Realize with an expensive Olympic Free Pistol and German quality 22 LR ammunition, top shooters can consistently put 40-50 rounds through the same hole at fifty feet. Although the FN Five Seven is not an electronic Walther Free Pistol that I used in competition, it is extremely accurate with consistent ammunition in my experience.

SS198LF Target 10 yards two hand hold. This target was shot outdoors, cloudy day on an uphill grade.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Well I think your German pistol may have had a uniquely German disposition to ammo :D There is a long distance between Remington 22 and match ammo, free pistol or not. Do you think the Swedes or the British cant make ammo? The only German ammo I keep is SK but my gun she demands the finest lapua.

Nice shooting with the Five-seveN!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well I think your German pistol may have had a uniquely German disposition to ammo :D There is a long distance between Remington 22 and match ammo, free pistol or not. Do you think the Swedes or the British cant make ammo? The only German ammo I keep is SK but my gun she demands the finest lapua.

Nice shooting with the Five-seveN!
No you are incorrect. Everyone including those that competed on the US Olympic pistol team for the 1988 Seoul South Korea Summer Olympics used imported German ammunition. The Walther free pistol I used had an electronic trigger set at 3 grams pull weight. I could feel the inconsistency difference in the ammo when the pistol discharged when using the Remington ammo as a comparison. Everyone at that level of competition knew this. The way the pistol was operated is I would slowly come down over the bullseye, lightly tapping the 3 gram trigger so that the muscles were activated to function as the sights came through the bullseye. At the appropriate time, which was a sense developed by thousands of hours of training, I would slightly increase the pressure of the tap on the trigger button to discharge the pistol as the sights passed through the bullseye. Then I would rest before the next shot. We had two hours to shoot 60 shots with one shot per target during competition. The pistol could not be pointed straight up when loaded because the weight of the trigger button would cause the pistol to discharge. Below is a picture of the pistol I used. It was common to use dental impression putty to mold the pistol grip to the shooters hand. I also competed in the 10 meter air pistol event using a Walther C02 pistol. Free pistol is no longer an Olympic sport event as of 2018. It was dropped due to Olympic committee anti-gun politics having been an Olympic event since 19th century.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Damn....that's incredible. How many rounds was the SS198 target?
That target is part of my daily practice. I have a post that is 6 feet tall outside my house in the mountains. On top of the post I mount a small cardboard box with a circle and dot as shown. I walk ten yards down hill from the box, draw AIWB, turn, and fire one round as quickly as I can and hit the dot. It’s a great exercise to maintain focus and concentration.

·
Registered
712 Posts
No you are incorrect. Everyone including those that competed on the US Olympic pistol team for the 1988 Seoul South Korea Summer Olympics used imported German ammunition. The Walther free pistol I used had an electronic trigger set at 3 grams pull weight. I could feel the inconsistency difference in the ammo when the pistol discharged when using the Remington ammo as a comparison.
Im familiar with free pistol. Very cool that you used to compete. But I'm also pretty sure that Today most top competitors in ISSF are not using German ammo. Not American ammo either but the comparison to Remington from is a bit like saying you decided to keep driving a German racecar after you took the AMC Rambler wagon for a couple laps. That was my point ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im familiar with free pistol. Very cool that you used to compete. But I'm also pretty sure that Today most top competitors in ISSF are not using German ammo. Not American ammo either but the comparison to Remington from is a bit like saying you decided to keep driving a German racecar after you took the AMC Rambler wagon for a couple laps. That was my point ;)
I was always amazed that I could literally feel the shot to shot inconsistency when I would shoot the Remington just to see the difference. Summarizing, many people don’t really consider the ammo to be a huge factor in their shooting, yet experienced people know ammo is integral to function, accuracy, everything. I don’t know if this applies to AK platforms, that happily digest steel case ammo, but for every other platform it’s critical to carefully match ammo with pistol and of course the rifle.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts