FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally elected to retire my old, tired RCBS manual case trimmer. The accuracy is getting quite bad (+/- .003 inches). After 20 or so of reloading, I believe that the bearing are going bad.

My herd that I reload for has been thinned to 5.7x28 and 5.56mm NATO.

I would prefer a power trimmer if I can maintain an accuracy of +/- .001 inches.

I was also looking at a manual trimmer, a Redding 2400 Match Precision Case Trimmer.

Any recommendations for a replacement?

Thanks,

Hoover

·
Administrator
12,074 Posts
Hoover 1 said:
I finally elected to retire my old, tired RCBS manual case trimmer. The accuracy is getting quite bad (+/- .003 inches). After 20 or so of reloading, I believe that the bearing are going bad.

My herd that I reload for has been thinned to 5.7x28 and 5.56mm NATO.

I would prefer a power trimmer if I can maintain an accuracy of +/- .001 inches.

I was also looking at a manual trimmer, a Redding 2400 Match Precision Case Trimmer.

Any recommendations for a replacement?

Thanks,

Hoover
RCBS has a lifetime warantee on its loading equipment. Send it back. Call here: 1-800-533-5000 for instructions.

I prefer the Hornady Cam Lock with a modified shell holder for the 5.7 X 28 mm case. The RCBS Trim Pro for all others (9 Mak, 9 Luger, .223, .357, .300 Sav, .30 WCF). Each works well.

I have heard that the electric units are a waste of money ($125 bucks or more) unless you purchase the Dillon case trimmer. I understand this to be a good investment. Check for equipment and case compliance.

You can buy a power drill adapter for the RCBS or the Hornady. Either one of these will require an adaption to a part for the 5.7 case. The RCBS will require a shell plate holder (must be machined) that RCBS does not make (last I heard) - Elite Ammo used to sell them. The shell holder for the Hornady Cam Lock case trimmer will have to have the hole in the base of the shell holder enlarged. This means that you can never use this shell holder for anything thing except trimming - about 5 bucks to make it if you have or know of anyone with a drill press and good bits. This can be machined also but does not have to be because of the way the case is set in the holder for trimming. I do not know if such modifications are necessary on Redding or other equipment.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts