FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At a recent gun show in the Pittsburgh, Pa area, a long time vendor was selling 5.56mm "Israeli Riot ammo". It was $5 for 50 rounds, so a box followed me home. (And I do not own an AR or any 5.56 for that matter). The vendor stated that it would not cycle an AR.

Anyway, the head stamp is "91 SF NATO Cross". Based on this, it is appears that it is French manufactured 5.56mm Training Ammo.

Since I was off today, I pulled one of the bullets. Bullet weight was 14 gr, it is non metallic. The bullet appears to be some sort of polymer, fairly tough. The charge was 9 gr of "cat litter" looking powder, the case was boxer primed. The brass case looked OK.

And now the question, any thoughts on using this light weight bullet in the 5.7x28? :D Any suggestions for a starting load using True Blue?:cool:

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hoover :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
My only experience with such very lightweight bullets tells me that cycling the action might be a problem.

I made and loaded some 20 grain bullets once upon a time, and I got scared of the pressure before I got it hot enough to cycle the slide.

+2600 FPS, and then I drifted into another project. I might try this one again later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts