FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for. Scope, for my 17. Want to have enough power to see a 1000yard plate. But be quick enough for fast draws on dogs. I run an ior valdada on my bolt gun and love it so much that it will stay there. Any other ideas? I'd say 1200$ limit. Only in MOA. Don't care about zero stop. I like bold rericles so its easy to see. Lumminated wuod be nice to. I know there are vortex heads out there, just want to open all the legs b4 I dive in balls deep. Pics and examples would be very helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
There are no less than 30-40 threads on this subject here at the forum. There is a ton of good reading in some of the older threads.

Reactions: FLyon

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Looking for. Scope, for my 17. Want to have enough power to see a 1000yard plate. But be quick enough for fast draws on dogs. I run an ior valdada on my bolt gun and love it so much that it will stay there. Any other ideas? I'd say 1200$ limit. Only in MOA. Don't care about zero stop. I like bold rericles so its easy to see. Lumminated wuod be nice to. I know there are vortex heads out there, just want to open all the legs b4 I dive in balls deep. Pics and examples would be very helpful. Thanks
Here is a good one.

Schmidt & Bender Police Marksman II Rifle Scope 34mm Tube 3-20x 50mm

·
Registered
15 Posts
At 3x his listed price limit, sure. Great scope!
I think the point he was trying to make was that his budget is not reasonable for what the original poster is trying to accomplish. I don't personally have much experience at 1,000 yards but I feel reasonably confident that with the possible exception of some of the March scopes that nothing with a 1x or close to 1x setting is going to allow you to also see plates at 1,000 yards. For glass in the OP's price range you can probably expect a scope whose highest power will likely be no more than 4 to 5 times its lowest power. The newer scopes that can go from 3-18x, 3-20x etc are all pretty new from high end companies and carry a high price tag. My guess is that if the OP's budget of $1200 is set in stone then he will have to make some compromises.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Has anyone actually had much success shooting their 17s/H out to 1,000 yards??? I'm thinking that might be asking a bit too much out of this system...

·
Registered
961 Posts
I draw the extreme range line at 800m, but that may be because I don't have the option to shoot further so...plus I am using irons still so I am tickled to hit a two foot box from that distance. I have much practice in my future.
image.jpg

·
Registered
761 Posts
Wasnt there a thread the other day discussing spec ops ringing steel at a 1000 with their scars? Could just be getting old I guess but anything is possible with the right set up experience, ammo and the right range.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Generally agree with the above, since I'm more comfortable with a bit more zoom.

Stick a business card (typically 2"x3.5") on your target at 100yds, it'll appear roughly the same size as an 18"x36" plate at 1000yds. Put two side-by-side with a bit of overlap to simulate a 36" square plate.

No idea what is meant by a "fast draw on dogs" since p-dogs just stand there.

·
Registered
983 Posts
BTW, if you want to buy used and save some money, friends have recommended samplelist to me:

SWFA Riflescopes

Edit: I do NOT personally vouch for them, you're at your own risk, etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I've always had good experiences with SWFA. And since I live just north of them, normal shipping becomes one-day shipping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts