FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know I'm going out on a limb here asking about the Laserex mod. I've done my research here for the past week looking at threads for hours. I found a lot of great information but I also found a lot of missing pictures and dead links of old threads and websites. I plan on fabricating my own laser mount like the Laserex model, I just need a point of reference. I have seen a thread on how one person made his version but I want my version to be as close as possible (or better) to the real thing if that's even feasible.

Can anyone help me find documentation on the installation of the Laserex mod, and any kind of details on how the laser mount is designed. What I mean by that is, how does the laser remain in a fixed position while being able to be adjusted for windage and elevation. Is the laser mount installed when the stock is fully assembled or is it installed when the stock halves are separated?

One other question, I know some have tried to source and use their own laser diode. Anyone out there care to share their experience?

I'm very confident when it comes to modifications to metal and plastic (I also have a spare stock just in case). I'm also very confident when it comes to wiring, soldering, and electronics. I just don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

If my project comes to fruition and becomes successful, I can start a instructional thread on my project.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
A couple of comments...

From what I’ve gleaned, the most difficult part of the installation is installing the activation switch. The hole needs to be cut with the stock assembled, the triangular piece where the laser diode is installed also is installed with the stock assembled.

Then the wiring needs to be installed with the stock opened up.

I have a complete Laserex actual P90 kit to install , unfortunately it was D.O.A. when I received it.

I’m planning on upgrading the diode to a OSRAM native Green diode, I’m sure it will also involve a different driver board and I doubt that I will use the original battery compartment.

This is a good read on installation https://fnforum.net/forums/promoted-pawn/22309-internal-lasers-long-story.html

Fortunately we have an original Laserex equipped FN P90 to compare to.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pursuit, I was really hoping you had already upgraded your laser by now after reading your thread. I was looking at the same Laser diode by Osram, and the only problem I see is it requires a minimum of 7 VDC to operate. It's been a while since I opened up my stock but I'm not sure if there's enough room for 2 CR123 batteries. Maybe this is something we can collaborate on together.

I've put some thoughts into the activation switch. The same switch is pretty hard to come by and I thought, why not use a tape pressure type switch instead? Drill a hole big enough for a rubber grommet and presto! a means route the wire to the circuit to activate the laser. I know it's not like the Laserex but I'm ok with that part.

I also read Promoted Pawn's thread but there were no pictures. Not sure if there were any in the first place. Is there any way you could post a picture of the laser mounting assembly? I'm really interested in the construction, how it sits in the stock, and how it gets installed.

·
Registered
172 Posts
This probably doesn't add much, but I've always wondered if it would be possible to do a modification where a crimson trace or viridian laser could be used. It would have to fit inside somehow, and then you'd have to figure out the wiring part.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It probably could be done. My biggest issue would be the size and shape of the laser diode and the circuit board it comes with. Not to mention the price of those types of lasers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts