FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The question is...has anyone made a step-by-step instruction manual on how to replace this particular part (assembly)? A thousand thanks in advance...

Bob Ailes hooked me up with the parts--but no instructions. Arrrgggh!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Sorry I don't have that information for you, but I would like to know how the cocking handle was broken. I am looking into getting one before the new year.

·
Registered
111 Posts
yes, more info please... when did you buy it? serial # range?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I can't help ya on fixing it - but a few people have had this issue, but I have not heard of it lately.

FN's statement apparently revolves around faulty packing on some guns putting stress on the gun when it was packaged. They have fixed those effected, and usually a person sends the gun in and FN pays for shipping.

If I remember right, Skeletor didn't want to send it in and got them to send him the part.

This doesn't see to come up very often.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Read somewhere that the "HK Slap" was causing the breakage. I don't know if that's true, but I've not even locked back the bolt since I read about it over a year ago. There's really no need to do so other than checking in the inspection port. When the weapon is shot dry, just leave the handle forward, change magazines, and then charge the rifle by pulling the handle back and releasing. No need to lock it back and do the "HK Slap" at all.

Zhur

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cabrito said:
yes, more info please... when did you buy it? serial # range?
Well, I had just finished shooting it and walked over to the picnic table which held a number of other guns I was shooting. I simply laid it down (I'm assuming on the cocking handle side)...and when I picked it back up, I saw a piece of black plastic hit the ground, I picked it up looked at the side of the gun...and yes, it had broken somehow. My gun is relatively new...although I bought it when it had first hit the market. I've only fired it on two previous occasions.

My serial number is #50xx, if that helps any. I'm just going to replace the cocking handle and sell it...it has never been returned to FN for the "parts upgrade" *cough cough* so I should be able to sell it pretty easily so I can get me one of the black ones with the 1.6x sight.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine is in the 5xxx range too, but it took a Marine captain to break the part.

Seriously though, it shouldn't be too hard to take the upper apart...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
homeyclaus said:
Mine is in the 5xxx range too, but it took a Marine captain to break the part.

Seriously though, it shouldn't be too hard to take the upper apart...
See my post that they made into a "Sticky" above on replacing this part when FN sends you a replacement. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts