FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my "get it before it gets banned" Five-seveN USG last week and fired it yesterday at an indoor range. So far I'm in love.

The blast and flash caught me off guard at first. Part of that was due to my wearing a pair of SureFire earplugs which I believe were designed more so that you could hear some things rather than blocking out everything.

I was breaking the gun in also, so that slowed me down, what with cleaning the barrel every 5 rounds at first.

Once I got into the groove the gun shot fantastic (for me). I haven't shot a handgun in a couple of years, but it seemed pretty easy to keep everything in a 4 inch circle from a standing position at 7 yards.

I liked the gun's ergonomics. I had no problem with the safety. I have medium sized hands, but had no problem with the grip. I don't know if the grip is smaller than that of a Glock 20, but it sure feels like it. I could never get a Glock 20 because of the grip size.

I put off buying the Five-seveN for a long time because of everything I've read about stopping power. Now having shot it, I would NOT want to be on the receiving end. The accuracy makes me think I would do a much better job of shot placement than with some other defensive caliber. Mozambique drills are so easy you think you are Tom Cruise in "Collateral".

The gun inspires a lot of confidence. I need to do some comparing to my Glock model 23 in .40 S&W for accuracy and speed. I'd also like to compare the power by shooting some stuff. Has anyone compared the 5.7x28 to the .40 regarding power? Something like the videos one guy did comparing his PS90 to a 9mm handgun?

It would be such a shame if this gun gets banned. Think of all the advances that we would lose too. I'd love to see the 5.7x28 spawn similar, but more powerful rounds.

I still can't believe what I did at the range. Normally I like to shoot round targets. I decided to try some silhouettes. I left the indoor range, but still had my earplugs in. I saw some folks shooting an Osama Bin Laden target. I asked the range master if he had any Osama targets. He looked at me kind of strange and said they didn't sell those because they could be seen as politically incorrect. I thought WTF, have things gotten that bad where we care about Osama? I thought about it and then I asked him, "I said OBAMA, didn't I?" He said yes and I was very embarrassed. Talk about your Freudian slips! I mean, I don't like the guy because of what I fear he might do to our gun rights, but I would never do that.

Later! ::0::

·
Registered
73 Posts
Glad you've come on board. Hehe, I got a kick out of your Tom Cruise Collateral comment. So true! It is effortless to do two to the chest, one to the head with this pistol. I am also a fan of full sized silhouette targets. http://www.letargets.com has a bunch. I use either SSO 99 or SPP 9 with shoot n c stick ons. The small holes the Five-Seven makes can be difficult to see in some ranges. Outdoor ranges especially. The bright sunlight can make your placed shots tough to see.

You'll find(at least I have) that SS-195 is the most accurate. SS-197SR shoots a little low(I have my rear sight cranked up a bit, with 195's POA and POI are DEAD ON).

In any case, "double up" next time(mickey mouse ears and compressible plugs) and have a blast with the new flame thrower :p :shock:

Jay

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I shot mostly SS195LF and that seemed to be dead on. I didn't change the sight one bit. I shot some SS197, but it didn't seem as accurate. I didn't really shoot enough SS197 to make the call on accuracy though.

I think if I just wore regular foamy plugs I would have been better off. I forgot how much noise the SureFires let in. It was pretty distracting with the noise from the other lanes too.

Hehe, the flamethrower is right! It was cool once I got used to that.

·
Registered
73 Posts

those are two vids we did when i first got the gun.

you'll see the fireball after the round goes off.

i had to adjust my sight a little higher as it was all the way down in back. initially, i had to make a triangle with the front to rear sight to get it to center mass. now that i've lifted the rear sight, it's much better.

the more you shoot that gun, the more you'll like it! the v-max stuff is great for home defense(mrnuke did a test on a few rounds, see the sticky posts atop of the page) but that 195 stuff is on the $. glad you're enjoying it. mine now has 750 rounds through it!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's funny, from what I've read from the 5.7 haters I expected the gun to be like shooting .22 shorts. Go in expecting blast and kick like a 9mm, and flash like a flamethrower and you will be better prepared for shooting it.

I think my range time will increase a lot with the Five-seveN. It is very fun to shoot. The indoor range I was at has a wide metal popper lane I need to try too :D

I've always sucked with a handgun. I'm sure with practice anyone can get good. With the Five-seveN I feel good from the start. It should make an awesome plinker or bowling pin gun.

Thanks for explaining the Mozambique drill. I shouldn't assume everyone knows what that is.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
SunsetSam said:
I saw some folks shooting an Osama Bin Laden target. I asked the range master if he had any Osama targets. He looked at me kind of strange and said they didn't sell those because they could be seen as politically incorrect. I thought WTF, have things gotten that bad where we care about Osama? I thought about it and then I asked him, "I said OBAMA, didn't I?" He said yes and I was very embarrassed.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I laughed when I read this :lol:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ShipWreck said:
SunsetSam said:
I saw some folks shooting an Osama Bin Laden target. I asked the range master if he had any Osama targets. He looked at me kind of strange and said they didn't sell those because they could be seen as politically incorrect. I thought WTF, have things gotten that bad where we care about Osama? I thought about it and then I asked him, "I said OBAMA, didn't I?" He said yes and I was very embarrassed.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I laughed when I read this :lol:
I thought it was funny too, but a little embarrassing. I guess the "Big O" has been on my mind a lot as I buy all the evil black weapons and magazines I can find 8)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm not a fan of BIG recoil guns. You have some that like it. For whatever reason, I'll never know. But that's fine...to each their own.

The five-seven has amazing accuracy once you settle in with it. Follow up shots are effortless. And again, the fireball is cool as hell!(kills the mosquitos at outdoor ranges in the summertime :lol: ) I'm sure it's fun with any gun to fire at reactive targets. We don't have any around here.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just have to add this :D

Yo homie, 'that my briefcase?

Edited to add: Hey ship, feel free to delete this post if the language or subject matter is inappropriate

·
Registered
54 Posts
J Z06 said:
Glad you've come on board. Hehe, I got a kick out of your Tom Cruise Collateral comment. So true! It is effortless to do two to the chest, one to the head with this pistol. I am also a fan of full sized silhouette targets. http://www.letargets.com has a bunch. I use either SSO 99 or SPP 9 with shoot n c stick ons. The small holes the Five-Seven makes can be difficult to see in some ranges. Outdoor ranges especially. The bright sunlight can make your placed shots tough to see.

You'll find(at least I have) that SS-195 is the most accurate. SS-197SR shoots a little low(I have my rear sight cranked up a bit, with 195's POA and POI are DEAD ON).

In any case, "double up" next time(mickey mouse ears and compressible plugs) and have a blast with the new flame thrower :p :shock:

Jay

I haven't shot any ss195 yet...but i shot my 5-7 for the 1st time, using ss197...at 7 yrds, i was shooting low about 4-6 inches...i had to really raise the rear sights (counter-clockwise). makes me feel a lil better to hear you say that.

·
Registered
239 Posts
GT1R390:

I don't know WHY people think their new pistols should shoot even close to point of aim out of the box. Do you know what ammo the factory used for their test firing? Do you know what range or distance they are using? Besides the factory does not shoot for accuracy, they test for function only. However the sights are adjusted off the assembly line is how they are set, not by test firing.

SS197 prints 4" to 5" lower than SS195 in most 5.7's Everyone should just adjust their sights for a given load at a given distance and use that as their benchmark to begin with.

MadDog :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
MadDogDan said:
GT1R390:

I don't know WHY people think their new pistols should shoot even close to point of aim out of the box. Do you know what ammo the factory used for their test firing? Do you know what range or distance they are using? Besides the factory does not shoot for accuracy, they test for function only. However the sights are adjusted off the assembly line is how they are set, not by test firing.

SS197 prints 4" to 5" lower than SS195 in most 5.7's Everyone should just adjust their sights for a given load at a given distance and use that as their benchmark to begin with.

MadDog :)
good to know, MadDog. I just wanted to make sure it was me, and not the gun. at least i know i can improve...dont' wana have to send her back to FN for any reason. And yes, my main concern on Saturday, was to make sure she functions. I'm excited to try her out again :?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went out to the indoor range last night with my Five-seveN and medium frame Glock 23 in .40 S&W. I also rented a large frame compensated Glock 17C in 9mm and a large frame Glock 31 in .357 Sig.

I expected the compensated Glock 17C to be a pussycat, but it didn't seem to have a lot less recoil than my Glock 23. The Glock 31 was peppy, but controllable. I seemed to be equally accurate with all three at 7 yards, not quite as accurate as with the Five-seveN though.

I'm thinking about getting something else to add to the collection. The .357 Sig seemed interesting, but doesn't seem to give me anything more than what I have with the .40 except more recoil and blast. .40 ammo is probably more available. One thing I like with the .40 is the thought that if I had to I could use ball ammo and still have decent stopping power compared to 9mm ball. I imagine .357 ball being way over penetrating.

I may get a 9mm Glock, but that would just be mainly for practice since the practice ammo is so much cheaper.

Firing the Five-seveN was effortless compared to even the compensated 9mm. The 9mm, .40, and .357 Sig all seemed controllable, but some effort was required to aquire the next shot.

I figured the Five-seveN was old news by now, but I had two guys ask what it was I was shooting. I imagine they were trying to figure out "what makes little holes grouped real close together, booms and flashes like a .357 Sig, holds 20 rounds, and can be fired as fast as a .22 rimfire pistol?" :D I was going to let the first guy shoot it, but I was too late and he'd already left. I had the second guy shoot a magazine and he liked it.

My gut feeling and going by energy ratings for the SS195LF round I would rate the 5.7x28 as being comparable to a good 9mm hollow point. A good .40 or .357 Sig round will have a lot more energy. If body armor were involved though the 5.7 would win hands down.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had a similar time yesterday at the range. Along with the FN, I had a new(to me) colt .45 5" 1911 that I was testing all sorts of ammo through. +P, HST Hp, ball, re-loads etc. When it came time to firing the FN, the difference in recoil was huge! Like you'd mentioned, you can blast the heck out of the thing and when you do your part, all the shots can be quite close together! I tried some winchester ranger +P+ 9mm rounds in my 19c. Man those babies have punch! On par with .357 sig from what I've been told.

It's too bad all the ranges I attend don't allow the Five-Seven though. It's one of my favorite pistols to shoot. The big bang, flash and accuracy make it joyous each time I take it out! Mine has 850 rds through it since early August when I bought it. :?

·
Registered
50 Posts
why do the ranges disallow the 5-7? Has it been banned in your state?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sal Paradise said:
why do the ranges disallow the 5-7? Has it been banned in your state?
Some ranges are worried about backstop damage.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yup.

In the first weeks that I owned it. I took it to a local range I knew allowed V-Max(SS-197). Well, I had a de-de-de moment and had SS-195 with me. The day before, we we're supposed to go to an outdoor range, but it'd rained so I only had 195. When they asked what I was shooting, I told them my glock, makarov, .357 magnum and Five Seven. Once she heard Five Seven she asked which ammo. I told her V-max 197. Little did I know, I had four boxes of 195. So when I got in...I didn't shoot it as I was worried about damaging their backstop. Needless to say, when I left, they asked why I didn't shoot the Five-Seven. I was honest and told her why. She thanked me(all activities inside the range are video'd like most ranges) for being honest.

Another range allows everything BUT Five Seven. .357 sig is ok, but not even V-max.

No biggy! It makes me savor it that much more when I do get to shoot it. :?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts