FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, before you roll your eyes for the ongoing beating of a dead horse here, consider your options carefully: its either this or actually talk to your mother-in-law while the bird roasts. :icon_eek:

Now, the question: for the 17s if you could have either an MK6 with ADM mount or a VCOG, which way would you go?

I need to glass up one of my 17s and the VCOG could either be a brilliant gamble or a very, very expensive learning experience.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I remember thinking when I posted this that someone will say Elcan within two comments. :lol:

The Elcan is definitely not out of the running. Think of this as the quaterfinals. So, for this quarterfinal, your winner would be?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I put it to you this way. I live in an area with heavy forest cover and the occasional open field, and I want this SCAR to be one of a couple of SHTF guns. Hence the "do it all optic" (where I say "all" because an 800 yard shot on a deer is not that likely).

So, that is "the mission" in some sense.

More of you need to get in this conversation, by the way: my mother in law just suggested that she might knit me a reindeer themed sweater for the holidays. I need some QRF. Now...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
My vote is for the VCOG because we all know the MK6 is rock solid and I'm very interested in serious feedback on the VCOG.

If I were in your shoes, that's how I'd throw my dice. Especially if I were to find one for $1,500. :eek:

The turkey will be done in 15 minutes and my mother in law left town for the weekend. What a great day to be alive!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
+1 for the Leupy MK6 1-6X CMR-W reticle. If you want a setup that will do it all from CQB to 600+ yard shots, the SCAR will do it, and the MK6 is designed to do it.

You get true both eyes open red dot quickness at 1X, and 6X is enough to get you onto a 18"x18" target at 600 yards.

Other optics will do it too, but you typically get what you pay for in the long run. If a cheaper scope is the same or better with the same specs, go for it, but there has to be something different.

I have had a Leupy MK4 MRT 1.5-5X on a FAL for a number of years. The 1.5 (vs 1x) is tough to use with both eyes open, and 5X (actually 4.5x) is not enough magnification past 500 yards, IMO.

The Elcan is very robust, simple and expensive. I have not tried one, and I'm sure it would be good, but I doubt even it can overcome the liabilities of 1.5x magnification at close range. Leupold has it nailed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well shot my 17s with the Trijicon T24-3G yesterday and love it. Glass is super crystal clear , green accupoint dot is awesome for eye pick up and set at 1x is great. I was shooting at 150 yards and it was dea on about 8 shots later ,I love the eye relief , had a ACOG before just did not like the eye relief . Although if I would have had another $1000 I'd have opted probably for the vcog, but then again Furthest shot I have is around 300 yards so a 1-4 should be plenty enough.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.