FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what's the general census on their cans? I like the looks of the prices and specs yet I rarely hear anyone talking about them. Are they not as popular as other brands for a reason? Thinking of buying a 30 cal sometime this year and really like the specs/prices on the lta. Opinions please.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Maybe Jeremy over at silencer shop could drop a line here with his opinion. I like the idea of a sub $600 or so can and they have them at that price point.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
I suspect Jeremy may be busy at the SHOT show. As far as the YHM line goes, I agree they are rarely mentioned in suppressor discussions on the form when the topic comes up. I suspect they are good products, it just seems like Silencerco and AAC seem to be a little more on the leading edge of R & D with more features. Silencerco seems to be very highly rated as far as customer service goes from what I have read here. This is my best guess anyway.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I was never interested in them so never did research. But with all the r&d by silencer co and introduction of sig and dead air cans might want to wait and see if it either pushes prices down or you see another product you rather have. Cans are becoming like iPods you buy one and six months later the next big thing comes out lol

·
Registered
152 Posts
I love my 7.62 LT. It's one of the quietest cans I've heard so for the price you can't beat it I think.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally I feel like most of the advancements are a million new ways to attach them and not so much quieter, I may be wrong. Just seems most companies mainly brag about the new way to attach it

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Quick attachment and removal, modularity, and user serviceability seem to be the focal points now as db suppression seems to have hit a plateau across top manufacturers. There is only so much you can do with a given volume of space.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've got a QD YHM Ti Phantom that's pretty good. It was my quietest can till I got my Specwar a week ago. Didn't realize it initially till I started comparing, but the endcap bore appears to be a little larger than whats on the Specwar or my .308 can. Not that this was mic'd or anything, but just to the eye. That being said, nice lightweight can that locks on and off pretty quickly and easily.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have one of their 7.62 QD SS Phantom, which means it has been around before Silencerco and all these newer manufacturers started popping up with different technology and ideas. Being all SS and not TI it is kind of heavy but it works very well. If I knew back then what I know now, would I buy it again? Probably but my requirements have changed where suppressors are concerned.

1. I prefer QDs as it makes it easier to move around.
  2. Weight is a concern. Like them lighter these days.
  3. Noise suppression, they All do, some better than others but since my ears aren't calibrated to tell the difference I wear protection anyway.
  4. Being able to take them apart is nice and so is baffle replacement.
  5. Cost - Suppressor prices have come down in recent years and choices have gone up. So you can get some very good cans in all the price ranges.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Maybe Jeremy over at silencer shop could drop a line here with his opinion. I like the idea of a sub $600 or so can and they have them at that price point.
Sorry I'm late I was on a fox hunt this weekend.
YHM makes good rifle silencers and rimfire. Pistol silencers are so so.
Here is the thing about YHM and why they get overlooked. They are a little heavy from the LT model back. The new ULT is really light but that blows the budget. I almost bought an LT for myself a while back before I get my Saker. The mount is solid but the interesting thing is that it doesn't have anything that it really shoulders up against. The bottom is spring loaded so it keep consistent pressure on the silencer but putting it back to the same place each time can be tricky. They sound good and can handle a variety of calibers. Someone mentioned the bore size being larger and that is true for the older versions that is why I typically recommend them for AK's where you need a larger bore.
So overall they are good and I would say about mid-range. There are better silencers and there are worse but for the price it is hard to beat.

P.S. 17HMR+silencer=:th_1074:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Old technology - good for bargain basement deals - but if you truly want lower suppression numbers .... more choices out there and as the newer suppressors come out this year MAR/APR you will see prices drop (in the price range on the YHM suppressor) BUT you will be getting a better in terms of decibels rating / technology / better mounting options / and materials all the way around.

Agree w/Jeremy above - my YHM SS in 5.56 is a heavy beast - but it stays home on a 7.5" 5.56 upper;)

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Jeremy I been looking at either the lt or lta both being about $600 and to me 20 oz is not to bad I mean my 556 can weighs that much. Also that price is in line with the aac, weighs a few ounces less and a few inches shorter for twenty dollars more than the aac762~sd

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Wow that ult is only thirteen oz and is qd mounted and is cheaper than the saker!!! Still want to be around $600 so I will not buy it but just saying that is impressive!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Saker and lt are same length and weight I am sure the saker is quiter just not sure it is $300 worth quiter to me
and make your final decision / spend the money. I just don't want you to have buyers remorse and be stuck w/something you will hYou say that now - granted this my be your one and only suppressor purchase (but buy once and buy right) - but if I may...and this is one of those times where cheaper is not always better ....

You will care about suppression - more so if they advertise hearing safe - I have tinnitus and loss of hearing but always shoot w/o ear pro while suppressed (but wont on suppressors I know are not hearing safe)
You will care about accuracy - more so if you go the route of QD and want no joke repeatable POA/POI
Cost - NFA is a costly game - suppressor / tax stamp / mounts / buyers remorse when you get that 'great' deal then your buddy spend less on a demo can that out performs your bargain both in suppression / accuracy / materials /

Its your money - (may I suggest you visit silencer talk / NFA Talk / major malfunction and go thru the reviews and what the suppressors meter data (its free). But most of all nothing will beat the chance if you (in person) can demo the suppressor ate

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Saker and lt are same length and weight I am sure the saker is quiter just not sure it is $300 worth quiter to me
Actually they sound fairly close. There was only a 2db difference on the M2 vs Saker. With the LT being quieter than the M2 I bet they are even. What you really are looking at are the mounting options with the Saker. That is why it is more expensive.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The thing is a lot of people buy their first can 'thinking it will be the last' but then they quickly get hooked and want another and another and another ....................:wink:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Like Jeremy said their pistol cans kinda suck. Their universal pistol adapter sucks for left hand thread firearms and they won't sell a fixed barrel spacer for their cobra cans. I wish I would have just bought a ti-rant .45 back in the day. I know in 2015 I'll be getting an Octane45 HD to make up for that mistake or something new that's coming out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts