FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well........now you do. :)

My buddy Brett Westcott, the Senior Manager of Assault Rifle Systems for FN Herstal, USA, invited me up for the day to the FNH DEVTECH center, where I got a chance to take a look at the history of the SCAR system, from serial #1 to the latest production generation. I also got to play around with the MAG-58's, M240B's, Mk. 46's, Mk. 48's, M249's, M16A4's, and a lot of other very, very cool stuff.

While there, I completed the SCAR Armorer's course.

This is an amazing system, i'm sure I don't have to tell you guys.

Some news about the civillian SCAR-L. The military barrels and receivers will NOT be interchangeable with the civillian version, which is one big reason it's taken as long as it has for the civvie gun to come out.

Also, US Special Operations Command has just approved the SCAR system for issue in theater.

The pics aren't the best, they were taken indoors and the lighting was weird, but here you go.

Me, with serial #1, the first SCAR. The lower is aluminum, and is very similar to the FNC. That was one of the first things that changed.

The history of the SCAR-L, oldest on the bottom, current issue on the top.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
How's the weight difference from the 1st gen to current issue?

And did I read you right-Has SOCOM officially adopted this rifle?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
djv38 said:
How's the weight difference from the 1st gen to current issue?

And did I read you right-Has SOCOM officially adopted this rifle?
The current generation is lighter by ...... probably about a pound or maybe a little more.

SOCOM has officially allowed the issue in theater, not necessarily to replace the M4A1's or M16's in service though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
CONGRATS on getting the CERT Tim! 8)

You mentioned that barrels/receivers are not interchangeable; can you clarify? Does this mean I can not (quick) change from a H-LB to a H-STD? In other words when one purchases the SCAR, whatever they get is the one they are stuck with (until) another one is purchased?

Again congrats and thanks!

·
Registered
631 Posts
asymmetricalwarfar3 said:

You mentioned that barrels/receivers are not interchangeable; can you clarify? Does this mean I can not (quick) change from a H-LB to a H-STD? In other words when one purchases the SCAR, whatever they get is the one they are stuck with (until) another one is purchased?

way cool I like my FNC except for the trigger pull

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I am so envious right now.... :oops:

·
Registered
114 Posts
That's way cool. :shock: Congrats :D

Looks like a well thought design. They didn't have to change half the weapon from every version tothe next one. :?

asymmetricalwarfar3 said:

What Templar is saying ,I think, is that you won't be able to put a millitary barell/reciver in a civilian SCAR.

Looks like they tested the 6.8 mm Remington Special in that Scar Light :MM:

Anything else you saw heard while there about other calibers tested with the system?

Thx. :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Congrats! Hopefully, as in the case of my other FN's, I won't have many questions to ask.

Thanks for sharing the info though through the year, and I look forward to future tips. 8)

(I'm jealous, so you suck.)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A-sym, Jaws got it, the civillian version will not accept the military barrels or lower receivers.

I did NOT get to see the civillian SCAR, DEVTECH is the military section, not LE or Civvie, but what I was told is that the only way FN could get the civillian SCAR to market was to make as sure as they could that someone couldn't take military parts and make a contraband weapon. The SCAR is so modular it was an issue aparently.

As far as other calibers....7.62x39mm was discussed, with a different lower that would accept AK mags.

This was only discussed, I did not see a SCAR chambered in that caliber, and if they were to do it, I can almost guarantee it would be for certain units that would be operating in areas where resupply of 5.56mm NATO might be an issue.

That 6.8mm SPC SCAR is the only SCAR that was chambered in that caliber.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Templar said:
That 6.8mm SPC SCAR is the only SCAR that was chambered in that caliber.
If they only tried one prototype in 6.8mm, then is little chance it will see serial production any time soon, in millitary or civilian version alike.

Since the automatic version is not legal in Canada, and that fat case shouldn't be a problem in a semautomatic, I was hoping they were going to make a 6.5mm Grendel version. :mrgreen:

I guess not. :(

Thanks for the answer Templar. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Templar.
Thanks for all of the valuable info.
Did you happen to receive any info about intended available barrel lengths for the civie / LE Scar-L? Only 16"?
I'm really hoping for the shorter barrel options...
S.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SURGE said:
Templar.
Thanks for all of the valuable info.
Did you happen to receive any info about intended available barrel lengths for the civie / LE Scar-L? Only 16"?
I'm really hoping for the shorter barrel options...
S.
Educated WAG is going to be 16", with nothing shorter available as a factory option, but DEVTECH was their military facility, and has absolutely nothing to do with the civillian or LE side of things.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the quick response Templar. I'm guessing the same and hoping for more.
I'm anxious to see the civie SCARs come to light...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Templar,

Do you know if the gas block/front sight is pressed and pinned like a AK,
or is it more like a AR where after you drive out the pin/pins it is fairly easy to slide off?

I am still thinking about a SBR project and trying to find out what I will be getting into, and who I will get to do the work.

Thanks again for the new info on the SCAR.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also intend on getting a stamp for my SCAR-L and am curious about the barrel and block as well. Anyone know if the barrels will be chrome lined? Could become problematic if so...
Thanks.
S.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Been doing some more homework and it seems cutting a chrome lined barrel down is NOT that big a deal.
That's good news...

·
Registered
426 Posts
The following are a few pics of the Barrel Mounting Points & Front Sight/Gas Piston Block of the Mk17 SCAR. The Gas Piston Block does have a press fit and is pinned into place.
These things are a breeze to work on. The Barrel fastners require a torqued setting. A Seekonk T handled torque wrench is about the only offical armorer's tool. Other than that a pin punch is about all you'll ever need to tear down a SCAR at the field level.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts