FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello FN forum
Im trying to decide on the best scope for hunting coyotes and white tails (max 200 yd shots)
im thinking a vx-6 1-6x
Whatever i get will be mounted to a larue lt111
What do you 223 guys run?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
That's not a bad choice at all. I hunt with a mk4 leupold 2.5-8 on my 17s. If I could get any any optic for my 16s id probably get vx6 you are thinking about.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I sorta wanted to stay brand loyal and get the nxs compact with FC-3G for some long range shots but i can get an illuminated vx6 for 900 bucks

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I sorta wanted to stay brand loyal and get the nxs compact with FC-3G for some long range shots but i can get an illuminated vx6 for 900 bucks
Got a link to the vx-6 for $900, Id jump on that deal! That's a decision for you to consider, you'll be able to shoot equally well or better with 6 power optics. The fc-3G doesn't really get me excited.

·
Registered
862 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hunting. You are talking "Hunting" scopes and not tactical for close out to 200yds. I favorite is on my LH 375 H&H Dakota 76 Safari, the Vx-6 2-12x42mm CDS Illuminated. I've taken things way too close to me for comfort (almost thought I should have a knife taped to the end of the barrel!), out to 288 meters (ranged) with no problems what so ever. I love the center illuminated dot for super quick "point and click" interfaces at 2x with its extremely wide field of view. LOVE this scope for just about every one of my hunting needs.

1 crop 1 IMG_1537.JPG 1 IMG_1557.JPG

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
1-6 is fine out to 200 yards. My 16 wears an Elcan 1-4 and I've shot coyotes at 300 yards no problem. An illuminated dot is money on moving targets. I would avoid Larue mounts on the SCAR unless you don't mind scratches on the underside of your rail.

·
Registered
244 Posts
For deer hunting out to 200yds... (or even 300yds) I'd recommend something in the 3-9 x 40-50mm range.

The Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 works great for that. So does the Meopta Meostar 3-9x50... The 50 objective really helps with the low light hunting.

Attachments

·
Registered
660 Posts
...... An illuminated dot is money on moving targets. I would avoid Larue mounts on the SCAR unless you don't mind scratches on the underside of your rail.
AMEN!! (Amen on the second part too!)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
1-6 is fine out to 200 yards. My 16 wears an Elcan 1-4 and I've shot coyotes at 300 yards no problem. An illuminated dot is money on moving targets. I would avoid Larue mounts on the SCAR unless you don't mind scratches on the underside of your rail.
can you give me some more info or evidence of this? not trying to call you out by any means but larue is a pretty reputable company so id like to know more about this
the leupold is probably gonna be the ticket, I just get upset with companies that have sold out....leupold rifleman and zeiss terra, are you kidding me?? Its like when Husqvarna started being sold at home depot. I realize they still make their premier products but theres some credibility lost with me

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I have 6 Larue mounts,3 aimoint micros, 1 aimpoint pro, and 1 flip to side magnifier, and 1 LT 104 mount. On ar's no problem. On my scar and vector they have left some somestantial marks on the rails. You can search for Larue marks on this site and see the evidence I've already posted on the 17, but, because its hunting season I'm not going to remove my ARC mount and point out the marks again on my SCAR. The marks on my vector are small, bout 3mm, but since I had to play with where I wanted it several marks are visible. I still use and trust Larue . I think they make top notch mounts, just saying other mounts I've used don't leave these marks. I consider these battle weapons, and I'm not concerned with these blemishes. I think their aimpoint mounts are top notch and will continue to use them. For scopes however, I will stick with ARC or ADM. my 2c. Your scope choice is up to you, If you like it buy it ,its your eye.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
From doing some more research ive found im more limited by the large eye piece of the vx-6, 1.8 inches, interfering with the rear sight...all the larue mounts are too low, and ADM makes one mount that works but its way too high. A bobro or wilson combat should work

·
Registered
397 Posts
Leupold VXR Firedot 2-7X, great price and adequate for close to mid shots. Save yourself some dollars VXR 2-7X

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For hunting-- Nightforce SHV
View attachment 33831

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
personally I think anything over 10 power is just extra weight on a .223 carbine...but I do have a nightforce and have a serious hard-on for that company, the SHV is a badass scope for the money.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The Trijicon Accupoint TR24 1-4 sounds ideal for what you want. Amazon just had a sale on the model with the green triangle reticle for $685.

·
Registered
173 Posts
personally I think anything over 10 power is just extra weight on a .223 carbine...but I do have a nightforce and have a serious hard-on for that company, the SHV is a badass scope for the money.
Agree, the nightforce SHV is on my little man's 308 pictured. The scope and the rifle get allot of abuse. It is 4-14 power but I was not planing to go with the nightforce scope until they released the SHV model, turret caps and the standard zoom ring is why I went with it. I did not want to drag through the woods the NXS with the exposed turrets. Somehow kids don't seem to care about it as much as I do :0) but it is holding up well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts