FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, now I know I'm asking this on an FN forum, but I just wanted to get some feedback from some of you who have experience with both of these guns. I just bought a 17s so it's going to be a while before I make another purchase, but both of these interest me. And who knows, tax return on the way (will go toward 17 accessories most likely).

What do y'all think? Pros/cons of each relative to the other?

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Do you want a DI or piston rifle? I would say its apples and oranges really. An SR15 would be at the top of my list for a DI gun, and a 16 would be at the top for a piston gun. Get both :mrgreen:

·
Registered
155 Posts
SR-15 is less bulky.
SR-15 has a longer rail (thus, longer sight radius).
SR-15 has a 2-stage trigger.
SR-15 is more balanced.

SCAR-16 is MUCH easier to clean.
SCAR-16 has a folding stock.
SCAR-16 has an adjustable cheek weld.
SCAR-16 is more suppressor-friendly.

I chose SR-15 because I wanted the pinnacle of ARs.

BTW, KAC is no longer making the Mod 1; they are making the Mod 2 (w/ the URX4 keymod rail and improved gas system) for 2014.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good points gents. Thanks for your perspective Michael. I'd really like to shoot both back to back just out of curiosity.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I own both. The only thing they have in common is the round they shoot. The SCAR will shoot them more reliably. The recoil impulse is smoother on the SR.
Everything else is covered above.

·
Registered
671 Posts
If you wanna SBR it I'd go with a 16s, if you want a light, well balanced, soft recoiling yet built like a tank, SR-15 is your ticket, but personally I'd rather custom build an AR. AX556, Geissele trigger (pick your poison), possibly VLTOR A5 buffer system (depending on what LOP you like with and without body armor if applicable), LMT Enhanced BCG (bolt is arguably as tough as an E3) & the BCG smooths recoil out, BCM KMR 13 BFH fluted EWL mid length barrel, raptor CH, magpul MBUS pro BUIS, furniture of your choice and be done with it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I own both. The only thing they have in common is the round they shoot. The SCAR will shoot them more reliably. The recoil impulse is smoother on the SR.
Everything else is covered above.
Which one gets more range time? Silly question, but which is more fun to shoot in your opinion?

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'd buy both, just because...

Settling for less than both would be just that, settling for less.

And there's no need to call it quits there. This is America dammit! Support Capitalism!

Doing otherwise reeks of Communism...

-SS
I like this! I don't have a scary black rifle addiction, I'm just helping to defeat world communism!!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SS you need to have a talk with my wife! Seriously though, you are right sir. It's my duty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts