FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the intended use for your 17s? I'd start at 100yds, learn your holds, increase distance if needed/required...
Target shooting and killing coyotes or possibly a deer. I'm not great at distance estimation, but probably the longest, unobstructed shot I might take is 300-400 meters. I'll confirm those distances in the near future, so let's just assume 400 meters, I suppose.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Target shooting and killing coyotes or possibly a deer. I'm not great at distance estimation, but probably the longest, unobstructed shot I might take is 300-400 meters. I'll confirm those distances in the near future, so let's just assume 400 meters, I suppose.
I still recommend a 100yd zero learning the holds or in your case 100m. Different ammo equal different ballistics. Master 100yds/m then stretch it out. As for range estimation, that is an acquired skill with a scope you can cheat though and get a range finder.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
I use the cheapest (ha!) ball ammunition I can find.
Think you'll want to use a little better ammunition for killing coyotes and Deer at 300-400 meters
lol!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're right about deer, but I'm not really serious about that at this time. Coyote? No remorse. We'll see how accurate I can get with the, umm, 'cheap' stuff. I'm not sitting on a munitions store like some of you.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
100 yds to "find" zero, but where you set it depends on use.
if you dial or hold, it doesn't matter as long as your zero is correct.

for example, some like a 36 yards zero because this means anything from 25-300 lands in a CD sized circle without holding.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all. I've been trying to decide between 100 and 200 meters. I understand what holdovers are and certainly plan to use them. Seems like 100 meters is the popular choice here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I zero at 100 as well. That’s -2” at 25 yards and +2.5 at 200 yards. So no need for adjustment or holds as long as I’m in the 200 yard window. I just dial up after 200 or use my hold over in my optic. But in my opinion 100 yards is the best zero for 7.62.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts